Handmade sign by Chipper Nelly

Monday, April 26, 2010

2 more!

Took mine and Kendal's egg out of the incubator today and in true 'boy' fashion had to crack them open to have a look. Kendal's only had the first signs of developing and must have died early on. Mine wasn't much further on but had gone brown and gloopy and stank like a stinky thing!

In a moment of genius decided that I would see if I could find an Orpington breeder near here and see if I could get me a chick or two for me and Kendal. Managed to find a hatchery about half an hour away that did Orpingtons. The guy that owned it suggested that he provide me with 2 fertile eggs that were due to hatch on the same day as Geordie's and Fee's.
I, of course, emailed my chicken guru, Cockerdoodle Mark, to ask his opinion and with a cautious green light I set off armed with a hot water bottle (as instructed by the hatchery man)!

Never been to a hatchery before - after taking SO much care of 6 eggs it was strange to see hundreds in machines being turned and then crates full of chicks stacked on top of each other!

Anyway, I am a sucker for a cute chick so didn't leave with 2 eggs - left with 2 chicks! One was from a white Orpington and was 1 day old the other...well...he wasn't sure! The chick is black and cream and he thinks it is probably a Gold Laced - but time will tell.


It had literally just been hatched this afternoon so it's down is still a bit gunky. Could do with a shampoo and set - but I presume we are not allowed to do that?

I am to have the white one and Kendal the mystery bird!

Mine is to be called Mertyl and Kendal's Nancy!

We have done the drop test on them both and they are both hens - beginning to think it is a load of rubbish!


Mertyl has turned in toes but otherwise seems fine and Nancy is small and looks a bit scabby thanks to her matted feathers - I am sure she will improve in time.

Have put Nancy into the incubator for a few hours and Mertyl into the broody cage. Dolly and Pearl were so pleased to see her that they have pecked her and sat on her all afternoon. Apparently this is normal, just establishing the 'pecking order'
Here are our new girls...more of Nancy tomorrow when she is out and about (and less scabby!!)

SCABBY NANCY!

No comments:

Post a Comment