Handmade sign by Chipper Nelly

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Great Escape!

Were woken up EARLY on Saturday morning by Kenzie, who apologised for disturbing us but felt he had to tell us that Mertyl had escaped from the broody cage and pooed all over the utility room floor!

I had visions of being knee deep in chicken poo and spending the rest of the day on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor lest my wife throw me (and my chickens) out!

In truth, Mertyl was indeed out - perched on the top of a wellington boot! As for the poo...there were four small blobs and that was it. I had sacrificed a 'lie in' for four small blobs....GUTTED!

Because it was such a lovely warm and sunny day I put the girls on the lawn with the top of the cage over them while I cleaned out the bottom. As far a I can tell...they loved it and did loads of scratching and pecking about.

Have started to turn the broody light out for periods of time so they can get used to the fact that they are going to be living in the North West of England - not Spain!

Here are our girls today at 19 days for Dolly and Pearl, 18 days for Mertyl and 17 days for Nancy! I have put them next to a picture of them at one day old - so you an see how they have come on!



 












No comments:

Post a Comment